Sunday, May 15, 2011

Fettuccine with Bacon and Peas

I got this recipe from an Everyday Food issue a few years ago which has become part of my repertoire.  I've made a few changes here and there, this is my version:

Serves 2 plus leftovers for lunch

Salt and pepper
4-6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/4-1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion (the original recipe calls for a shallot)
5 oz frozen peas, thawed
1/2 cup half-and-half
9 oz fresh or dried fettuccine
Parmesan cheese

Set a large pot of salted water to boil.  In large skillet, cook bacon over medium until crisp. Remove to paper towel to drain (leave fat in skillet for making sauce).

Add onion to skillet; season with salt and pepper.  Cook over medium, stirring occasionally, until they begin to soften, 1-2 minutes.  Add peas and half-and-half; season with salt and pepper. Simmer until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.

Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente. Drain and return to pot.  Pour sauce over pasta; toss to combine.  Sprinkle with bacon and parmesan; serve immediately with a side salad or artisan bread.

 This is a great springtime dish. I like the simple flavors
of just a few ingredients; it takes Italian to a more
authentic level than your basic Spaghetti and Lasagna. 

I use these noodles which are cheaper than fresh and 
much easier than making myself. They really soak up the sauce, 
unlike other dried pastas. You can buy a big bag of these at Costco.
I buy this more suitable size for our family at Wal-Mart.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment