Thursday, November 10, 2011

Harvest Banner



While we were on vacation in September, I started thinking about my front porch. I've never really done anything with it, and yet it has so much potential. I want my house to be welcoming the moment you pull into the driveway.  I didn't have much in my budget for it this year, so I knew I needed to make something and then, thanks to Pinterest I got my idea.

So here is my first attempt at a tutorial, which first involves a trip to JoAnns.

1. Shopping List:
1/3 yard solid cream outdoor canvas 
1/8 yard solid brown outdoor canvas
1/8 yard Pellon Wonder-Under Fusible Web 
Small spool of brown thread
2 yards of binding - you can use a double wide packaged binding. I bought a cream trim. Use whatever catches your eye.

2. On the computer:
Design your letters, and get creative with fonts. I chose High Tower Text since I was going for classic and old fashioned. As far as size of the letters, you want them to be around 4 inches tall. I think for High Tower that was between 300-400. Print (I always click the "Outline" in advanced settings, so as not to waste ink).

3. Make your triangle pattern. 
I cut mine out of a Digiorno box and it's 11 1/2 inches long x 8 1/2 inches wide.

4. Cut out your printed letters.

5. Iron the Wonder-Under onto the back of the brown canvas.

6. Trace letters onto Wonder-Undered canvas
Place letters face down (backwards), and trace.

7. Cut out canvas letters.

8. Cut out flags.
Using your cardboard pattern, cut out 7 flags. 

9. Iron letters onto flags.
Get out your craft ruler and center letters on flags, remembering to account for the 1/2 inch trim that will be sewn at the top.  Iron into place.

10. Sew around flags.
Thread your machine with brown thread. Set your stitch length to 3.0, I think a larger stitch looks more professional for top stitching. Sew quarter inch around sides of flags. At this point you may want to trim sides with pinking shears to add detail.

11. Sew flags together.
Pull out your trim, give yourself a foot or so of excess for hanging. You can pin trim to flags or just take it slow. As far as spacing the flags,  you could put a couple inches between each flag. For the size of my porch I butted them up so they were almost touching.

12. Iron the finished product and hang!



It does not feel like 12 steps, it's really simple and goes pretty quick once you start. And of course you could make one for any season or holiday, changing fabrics, words, lettering...have fun with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment