Our son just had his 2nd birthday (yay!), and I was very excited to plan his birthday cake. However, I quickly ran into a dilemma, my husband doesn't like chocolate, but everyone else loves it. I contemplated carrot cake, vanilla cake, the family favorite rainbow chip cake...what to do, what to do? And then, thanks to all the cook books and magazines I have searched over the years, my subconscious emerged with a win-win-win scenario: Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches, who wouldn't love that??
1. Prepare your cookie dough, just use your favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe.
2. After you scoop onto baking sheets, flatten dough with your fingers or bottom of a glass, this will make the finished cookies thin and flat.
3. I usually under cook my cookies (about 7 minutes), but for these, I wanted them to be crisp, so I baked them according to directions (8-10 minutes). It doesn't take much longer, they bake quicker because they are flattened.
4. Remove to wire rack, cool. I made the cookies 2 days before the birthday party and froze them in Ziploc bags.
1. Buy cheap-o ice cream that comes in the cardboard box.
2. Destroy the box
3. Make a 1/2 inch slice lengthwise.
7. Place in freezer. I assembled the sandwiches the day before the party. This made last minute preparations a breeze. These were a hit, everyone loved them!
Work quickly, the ice cream melts fast...hence, the sub-par photos. : /