Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwiches


Our son just had his 2nd birthday (yay!), and I was very excited to plan his birthday cake. However, I quickly ran into a dilemma, my husband doesn't like chocolate, but everyone else loves it. I contemplated carrot cake, vanilla cake, the family favorite rainbow chip cake...what to do, what to do?  And then, thanks to all the cook books and magazines I have searched over the years, my subconscious emerged with a win-win-win scenario: Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches, who wouldn't love that??

Cookies:
1. Prepare your cookie dough, just use your favorite Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe.

2. After you scoop onto baking sheets, flatten dough with your fingers or bottom of a glass, this will make the finished cookies thin and flat.

3. I usually under cook my cookies (about 7 minutes), but for these, I wanted them to be crisp, so I baked them according to directions (8-10 minutes). It doesn't take much longer, they bake quicker because they are flattened.

4. Remove to wire rack, cool. I made the cookies 2 days before the birthday party and froze them in Ziploc bags.

Ice Cream:
1. Buy cheap-o ice cream that comes in the cardboard box.
2. Destroy the box

3. Make a 1/2 inch slice lengthwise.

4. With your trusted biscuit cutter, press into ice cream to get filling for 2 sandwiches.

 5. Remove excess. Using a spatula, place onto bottom of one cookie. Place remaining cookie on top.

6. Wrap in plastic wrap, I gathered the four corners and twisted tightly to get a taut surface on one side. You could wrap in individual bags and tie with a ribbon for a more professional look. The birthday boy got sprinkles on his sandwich!

7. Place in freezer. I assembled the sandwiches the day before the party. This made last minute preparations a breeze. These were a hit, everyone loved them!

Work quickly, the ice cream melts fast...hence, the sub-par photos. : /

Enjoy!

1 comment: